Russborough


Russborough is the home of Sir Alfred and Lady Beit and it is in the care of the Alfred Beit Foundation. It is an out-standing Palladian House by Richard Cassels built between 1740 and 1750 for the first Earl of Milltown with fine examples of Francini plasterwork.

Russborough houses the magnificent Beit Art Collection, including paintings by Vermeer, Goya, Rubens, Velasquez and many others. A separate tour of the first floor bedrooms includes an outstanding collection of Irish silver of the period 1680-1820. The Rhododendron Garden is open when in bloom in late spring or early summer.

One of the venues for the annual Festival of Music in Great Irish Houses. Russborough is 35 km (22 miles) from Dublin on the Blessington/Baltinglass road, 3 km (2 miles) from Blessington.


to RTC Carlow back to Wicklow page
Courtesy Bord Failte
JB 24 nd July 1996