St Canice's Cathedral

St Canice's Cathedral (Church of Ireland) dates from the thirteenth century and may be on the site of the sixth century church of St Canice. Much repair and restoration has been carried out over the centuries - especially after the havoc wrought by Cromwell's soldiers, who left it a roofless ruin. Despite these depredations the Cathedral, with its massive squat tower and stepped battlements, retains its original austere lines. Notable features are the fine Early English west window, the east window, the beautiful groining of the central tower and the quatrefoil windows of the clerestory.

The interior has many fine medieval monuments, carrying effigies and other sculptures. Among them are the earliest dated monument (1285) which commemorates the son of Henry de Ponto of Lyra; It is between the pillars of the north aisle; also in the north aisle, the monument to Edmund Purcell (1549), Captain of Ormonde's Gallowglasses: this carries a mailed half-figure, the emblems of the passion and a reference to the denial of St Peter - a tomb bearing the figure of Franciscan Bishop de Ledrede, who died in 1360; in the south transcept of the choir, a monument to a prominent member of the confederation, Bishop Rothe; in the south transcept , the altar tomb of the 1st Viscount Mountgarrett, with an armoured effigy; near by, the tomb of Bishop Walsh (1585); in the south aisle, a female effigy wearing the old Irish cloak; the tomb of Bishop Hacket (1478), also in the south aisle. At the south-west end of the nave is a black marble twelfth-century font. 'St Ciaran's Chair' in the north transcept is also of black marble, with thirteenth-century sculpture on the arms.

to Kilkenny to RTC Carlow
<A HREF="../staff/staff.html#AK>AK18th July1995